Friday 4 April 2008

what to do

I now have a lathe thanks to my brother John,free of cost and in good running order.It wont help finish the chair or replace my broken tools but it will give me something else to think about in between projects and because it seems quite quiet in the evenings too.Nice one John !.
Cant finish the chair until i have replaced disc sander as wood is just too hard to sand back by hand,although as I said to andrew the last few grades are always done by hand, it would take a lifetime to get to that stage without electrical assistance and a good course sanding disc.
Not quite sure what to do in the meantime,pheraps finish a couple of frames that are half done or start another carving .
I learnt to drive a year ago and the tax ,mot and insurance all run out this month.Not good as I am totally broke.Gonna have to get my salesman head on.
If only that side of things were as enjoyable or came as naturally as the actual creative process it would be ok as I have loads of stuff to sell.As it stands as usual I am going to have to rely on blind faith and luck that everything will be ok.

No comments:


applewood lampshade

OLD

Its in the memory of birds this age
The post on which to perch to proclaim mornings glory
the spots of the past where the pickings are richest
the ancestors favourites ,the old places

Its in the roots of the trees this age
As they suck in the leaves as they fall
with some knowledge returning to earth to roots
to nature,to nurture, to be reborn

its in the stones the oldness
the mothers bones exposed less
where moss and lichens creeping hand paints steadily
and the birdsong is distant like fading memories

About Me

My photo
deepest, devon, United Kingdom
I don't know what I am but i know what i like.poetry, art and chipping at or joining together chunks of old wood,whilst listening to some good roots reggae or dub, world/folk music or blues all balanced by some good old punk rock.



solid oak post 3.5 feet high

rescued from collapsed original part of house in the dombseday book

I started with the natural bursts as eyes and soon got two faces

East,West Forwards and Back the green man is everywhere

The darker colours are the oxidisation of the exposed bits of outer timber over the many years

this piece took two months to carve.An allowance i made to myself for the first 2 months of this year.

which way to mordor