Tuesday 22 April 2008

pics of my last carving on a lump of six hundred year old Oak.Rescued by my brother from a collapsed house mentioned in the dombesday book.It took me between new year and the 1`st of march to complete and stands at about 3 and a 1/2 feet tall.I have put it on here already but wanted it on thi side so it will enlarge to view.Not the best photos I'm afraid but they will do for now.


At last the chair is all but finished.After a twelve hour shift in the shed today.Got in their at nine after dropping Albert to school and besides a couple of meal and tea breaks stuck at it until 9 tonight.I am really pleased with the end result and after a couple of very small finishing touches tomorrow I will photograph it and put it on here.

Its great to be back to work and with a couple of craft fairs coming up I am inspired to make as much as possible between now and the summer.Hopefully the lathe will help to create a number of smaller items and a couple more chairs are likely,in an ideal world the chance to do another carving as well in between jobs would be great.

No comments:


applewood lampshade

OLD

Its in the memory of birds this age
The post on which to perch to proclaim mornings glory
the spots of the past where the pickings are richest
the ancestors favourites ,the old places

Its in the roots of the trees this age
As they suck in the leaves as they fall
with some knowledge returning to earth to roots
to nature,to nurture, to be reborn

its in the stones the oldness
the mothers bones exposed less
where moss and lichens creeping hand paints steadily
and the birdsong is distant like fading memories

About Me

My photo
deepest, devon, United Kingdom
I don't know what I am but i know what i like.poetry, art and chipping at or joining together chunks of old wood,whilst listening to some good roots reggae or dub, world/folk music or blues all balanced by some good old punk rock.



solid oak post 3.5 feet high

rescued from collapsed original part of house in the dombseday book

I started with the natural bursts as eyes and soon got two faces

East,West Forwards and Back the green man is everywhere

The darker colours are the oxidisation of the exposed bits of outer timber over the many years

this piece took two months to carve.An allowance i made to myself for the first 2 months of this year.

which way to mordor