Sunday 20 April 2008

Nice one Mr Fitch

Twas the folk festival in the village this weekend.Although the weather wasn't great thanks to me mate Doug I managed to make some of the money needed towards the car at a garage sale he held of seconds and old stock.It was great to get did of some of the older stuff cluttering up the shed.Like any craftsman I have progressed and the older pieces are no longer a reflection of what i do now. Saying that people still seemed to like them and seemed really pleased with them so everyone is happy which is always a nice result.Thanks again to Doug for been a top mate and a great help of late.Oh yeah and groovy bass twiddling at last nights gig.!
Now as promised some days ago some pictures of some of the pieces for sale at this time.


close ups of Wych Elm burr and Ash burst




These are two of my favourite creations so far.The back and front pieces of the chair and the upright part of the table are from the same piece of Wych Elm.The seat of the chair is an unusual slice of oak.The cross base for the table is also of oak but very old,again saved from a local barn.The table top is a slice of Ash very well seasoned and clearly showing the rings from what would be a fork in the main trunk.The flame like quality of the elm's burr is a joy as are the corresponding lumps and noddules on the outside,this matched with the natural bursts in the oak and ash give two really interesting pieces.They dont have to be sold as a pair but almost beg to be so. Chair £600 Table £350 or £900 the pair.





I call this my oak tripod totem chair for fairly obvious reasons.The legs were reclaimed from an old devon barn along with the seat,The slice for the back was from a local sawmill owner who kindly puts me back some interesting pieces of timber, a lovely man but thats another story.
This was one of my first carved pieces done before I had any carving chisels.The back was all done with a one inch and a half inch flat chisel and a set of hole cutting drill bits.As with most of my pieces this has had coats of linseed applied over a period of time. The price for this piece would be £ 650





A rocking chair Made mostly of Yew,with an oak seat and front panel.I sit in it snugly,It feels like been cuddled as well as rocked.would be looser fit for trimmer adult or child.The only piece I have made to date with very obvious metal fixings,I find the coachbolts work Quite nicely with this piece. the price of this chair would have to be £350





lathe things so far .Holly,Beech,Hawthorn and Apple.
Now I am going to bed as it's been a very tiring (but nice) weekend .
Good night.

2 comments:

doug Fitch said...

My pleasure, we'll do it again. Rock and boomin' roll. By the way, I've got a new tune for your secrets poem if you fancy it as a song.

Those folky people were blown away by your work this weekend. I like the look of those lathe pieces, beautiful variation of tone, texture and grain.

Becky said...

Lovely candlestickities, Paul. And your chairs and table are breathtaking! Beautiful work!


applewood lampshade

OLD

Its in the memory of birds this age
The post on which to perch to proclaim mornings glory
the spots of the past where the pickings are richest
the ancestors favourites ,the old places

Its in the roots of the trees this age
As they suck in the leaves as they fall
with some knowledge returning to earth to roots
to nature,to nurture, to be reborn

its in the stones the oldness
the mothers bones exposed less
where moss and lichens creeping hand paints steadily
and the birdsong is distant like fading memories

About Me

My photo
deepest, devon, United Kingdom
I don't know what I am but i know what i like.poetry, art and chipping at or joining together chunks of old wood,whilst listening to some good roots reggae or dub, world/folk music or blues all balanced by some good old punk rock.



solid oak post 3.5 feet high

rescued from collapsed original part of house in the dombseday book

I started with the natural bursts as eyes and soon got two faces

East,West Forwards and Back the green man is everywhere

The darker colours are the oxidisation of the exposed bits of outer timber over the many years

this piece took two months to carve.An allowance i made to myself for the first 2 months of this year.

which way to mordor