Thursday 17 April 2008

back again

well that was a week that was. afraid blog got neglected.still if anyone is still tuned in ,"hello , its great to be back".
been playing with the lathe a little when have found the time,and came up with a few things.
I am looking forward already to having the chuck piece and chisels for bowl turning as I have a few ideas which I won't go into now but lets just say its why I'm practicing making balls out of different kinds of hard woods .Already I'm figuring out some things about different timbers capabilitys to resist splitting when object is finished therefore weakoned in places.
I think although some of the logs were well seasoned I used them too soon after bringing them in.Others ,touch wood seem not to mind at all.
Have managed to progress on the chair and hope to have it on here in its finished form after the kids go back to school next week,a few finishing touches needed.
I have just had problems putting pics of lathe things on but will try again later or tomorrow.when i do fix whatever problem it is I am going to stick a few other pics up of some stuff I could do with selling .A few bills have caught up and the car runs out of everything next weekend .I dont know if any one or anyone you might know, might like this sort of thing or even if this is out of order to ask on this blog thing, but until some shows in the summer come along I 'm struggling to find an outlet( mostly cos i'm not so good at that side of things,better at making than selling.Some are things you might have already seen some are older pieces from the depths of the shed .All are well seasoned or /and very old devon hardwoods.Burr oak ,Elm,Yew and Apple.Made with pleasure and love by a simple devon man.
I think I'll add a poem

TODAY

The trees in the distance vanish
into clouds on their hilltop
The hissing of the water in the pipes
reminds me I’ve left the tap on
I notice small red spiders
living on my windowsill
Spill half a jar of cider
‘cos I hadn’t screwed the cap on

The wood on the fire bubbles and spits its regret
The pictures more cosy in their frames than ever
The dog asleep with dog asleep beside the fire
I sit facing Dartmoor and breathe in the weather

No comments:


applewood lampshade

OLD

Its in the memory of birds this age
The post on which to perch to proclaim mornings glory
the spots of the past where the pickings are richest
the ancestors favourites ,the old places

Its in the roots of the trees this age
As they suck in the leaves as they fall
with some knowledge returning to earth to roots
to nature,to nurture, to be reborn

its in the stones the oldness
the mothers bones exposed less
where moss and lichens creeping hand paints steadily
and the birdsong is distant like fading memories

About Me

My photo
deepest, devon, United Kingdom
I don't know what I am but i know what i like.poetry, art and chipping at or joining together chunks of old wood,whilst listening to some good roots reggae or dub, world/folk music or blues all balanced by some good old punk rock.



solid oak post 3.5 feet high

rescued from collapsed original part of house in the dombseday book

I started with the natural bursts as eyes and soon got two faces

East,West Forwards and Back the green man is everywhere

The darker colours are the oxidisation of the exposed bits of outer timber over the many years

this piece took two months to carve.An allowance i made to myself for the first 2 months of this year.

which way to mordor